The primary function of this position will be focused on spacecraft propellant operations, including performance of loading spacecraft propellant systems. This position will also perform Mission Integration functions for spacecraft processing in the Astrotech facilities.
Duties and Responsibilities
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Develop test procedures and perform spacecraft propellant loading operations
- Integrate spacecraft missions through Astrotech facilities
- Complete all design and drafting of fluid schematics
- Select and provide detailed specifications for the purchase of components; interact with vendors to resolve component technical issues
- Assist technicians with fabrication, operation, and maintenance of fluid systems
- Perform configuration management and logistics functions concerning propellant loading equipment
- Undertake and maintain SCAPE training
- Act as mission integrator for satellite launch programs
Office, non-hazardous and hazardous spacecraft processing areas, warehouse and other delivery areas (airfields and ports). Highly dynamic work environment involving spacecraft processing teams from both domestic and international suppliers. Work involves hazardous operations and hazardous materials.
Specialized Knowledge and Competencies
- Strong background with hazardous chemical/material handling
- Strong working knowledge of fluid dynamics and thermodynamics
- Demonstrated expertise designing and operating propellant and gas systems
- Working knowledge of engines, pumps, valves, regulators, check valves, as well as electric, pneumatic, and hydraulic valves, actuators, and other fluid system components
- Knowledge of instrumentation including pressure transducers, thermocouples, silicon diodes, resistance temperature detectors, and accelerometers
- Knowledge of engineering standards and best practices
- Familiarity with CAD applications
- Must be able to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure, fast paced environment
- Must be able to work well in an integrated, collaborative team environment including daily interactions with technicians, engineers, managers, and customers
- Must have effective communication (oral and written, across all levels of the organization) and documentation skills
- Must be self-motivated and directed with keen attention to detail
- Must have strong problem solving and critical thinking skills
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical, Aerospace, Chemical or related Engineering with 0-5 years of experience working with complex fluid or mechanical systems. Experience with hypergols, and in writing test plans and test procedures. Proficiency in or hands-on experience with one or more of the following: launch vehicle or spacecraft integration; operations in 100,000 class or better clean rooms; test operations with gases/fluids; data acquisition setup and field measurements.
Must be a United States citizen. Must be willing and able to successfully complete a Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI).
Astrotech is a tobacco and smoke-free workplace.
Candidates may find more current openings at http://www.astrotechspaceoperations.com/careers.Share this post ---->